Friday, August 29, 2014

Inspiration: Boldini and Degas


From L-R: Giovanni Boldini's The Woman in Red, The Mondona Singer,
Princess Marthe Lucile Bibesco 

Not until historical romance did I begin to appreciate classical impressionist art, but Boldini and Degas are quickly changing the game for me.

My first encounter with Degas was back when my then 15-year old sister, Shutterhound, started painting ballerinas. I was a wee tot of 7 back then. I knew zilch in those days and just a little more than that now. At present, however, I am more able to appreciate their strokes of genius now. (Get it?! lol)

From L-R: Edward Degas's The Green Dancer, Dancer Resting, Reading a Newspaper,
??? Please feel free to email me if you know the title

Both Boldini and Degas produced work during the late 1800s through to the early 1900s. Their various art contain both a lightness and darkness to it, a whimsy that manages to carry a thick, blanketing malaise -- a hauntingly bright effect that is specific to these two.