Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Filipino's Shame

Apart from his blatant plagiarism, Tito Sotto's callous defense toward the allegations have raised the ire of many Filipinos. Indeed, as a citizen of this country and a member of this society, I find myself angry, and above all ashamed, that a man such as he -- so full of hubris and blinded by his lofty position -- has been elected by my fellow man, and by democratic association, myself, in the office he currently holds. Apart from his stance on the RH Bill, which offends me as a woman, he currently maligns my belief as a writer.

In my young years, I don't think I've ever felt as betrayed as I do on this day. The RH Bill debate will soon go, whether it is passed or not, but the remarks and accusations left by Tito Sotto will remain a vibrant cord in our generations thinking and belief. He slanders social media, as if what we do in the cyberworld is so insignificant and irrelevant, because he fails to see that this is currently the most powerful tool of our century. A minute and a button is all it takes to spread the news these days. We stay connected with each other, albeit not in our physical form, but through the tips of our fingers. The word of the people is a powerful thing, Senator. Do not insult the intelligence of your voting nation.

I may not be an elected official, as you so unkindly put it to Leloy Claudio and Miguel Syjuico, but I do believe that my word counts.

I will not insult your previous profession, or what choices you have made in your personal life. I believe that there is a time and place for that. For now, I will insult your ignorance and lack of decorum. Senator, nakakahiya ka.

There has never been, and will never be, a time when I am ashamed to be a Filipino. However, right now, I am ashamed to share my race and my nationality with Tito Sotto.

Photo SOURCE.