Monday, July 13, 2009

HP On My Mind

All thanks to brother dear, I got to watch the advanced, no ticket-sale screening for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.


In light of recent events, finding out that I would be able to watch the first-ever screening of the latest movie installment in the Harry Potter franchise has been quite the pleasant surprise. I've been antsy the entire day, looking at the clock every 5 minutes, willing it to move faster. Finally, the time has come for us to leave the house.

Now if you know me at all, you'd know that I'm a die-hard Harry Potter fan. The first Potter book was the first ever book I finished reading by myself back when I was 11 (and even then, I finished it in one sitting!) I personally feel emotionally attached to the series, and every year, during my birth month (YES! FATE! I even share the month with Harry and authoress JKR), I would bug my dad to get me the latest HP book. 4 Books into that, the first movie came out and even whilst I found myself disappointed, I've always had a special place in my heart for them. I grew up with these kids. They are my memories. When the 7th book came out, I read it in record time and I found myself crying and applauding, basically looking like a lunatic, after turning the last page. I felt robbed and bereft of something I anticipate all through-out the year, annually. Nevertheless, I consoled myself with the fact that I would still be waiting for 3 movies. Now the list has been cut to two, and again, I'm starting to feel the coming of the end of an era.

The Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie has been the most different out of all 6 movies. This time around, the movie focuses more on the teenagers than the adults. Indeed, they hardly had any screen time at all (except for Michael Gambon's Dumbledore and Jim Broadbent's Slughorn). The kids are older, experimenting more with relationships. The book, probably the darkest of all 6 books, differ a lot from it's movie adaptation. The movie has been the funniest so far and I kind of enjoyed that feel to it. In contrast to Ron and Hermione's and Harry and Ginny's relationship (or lack thereof) woes is Draco's thirst to prove himself in the dark side.


The verdict? The movie was okay. Just okay. Nothing spectacular, but not completely disappointing in it's entirety. Jim Broadbent made a wonderful Slughorn, coming alive in every scene. Tom Felton's performance, in my opinion, was the most outstanding. He was fantastic! He really captured the inner conflict Draco was struggling with -- wanting to prove he can avenge their family name but at the same time, realizing that being the regular school jackass is a lot different from being an actual death eater. Another great performance was that of Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix LeStrange, but that needn't be said. She is terrific in everything. This movie is a refreshing change from it's predecessors. I daresay the fans of the book may have contrasting feelings (such as myself) about the movie, but overall, it wasn't a complete waste.


And I have to add, EVERYONE GREW INTO THEMSELVES. The movie is full of beautiful people. Even creepy Cormac MgLaggen stole my heart. :P

Wizard kid,
Essa.

No comments:

Post a Comment