Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes 2011

Let's talk about the Golden Globes. The GG is one of the many annual award shows that dedicate itself to making the world's richest and most beautiful people feel better about themselves by giving them awards for being... well, you know. To be sure, it is not something to scoff at. I, myself, tune in every year and I do enjoy it immensely.

So right now, the internet is abuzz with news that Hollywood has gotten itself in a tizzy. Hollywood's finest, including the prestigious Hollywood Foreign Press Association, have found themselves the butt of this year's GG host, the "controversial" British comedian, Ricky Gervais, jokes. Now I'm sure that it is never fun to be placed in a situation where you wouldn't know how to properly respond and react, especially when an entire room, nay -- the entire world -- is staring at you. It's also never fun to be the target of someone's malicious humor. However, when the jibes are meant to induce laughter and not ire, then you're just taking yourself far too seriously.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the award shows are pretentious, I do find them rather self-congratulatory. So, Hollywood, here's some advice: Try to laugh every once in a while and don't invite RG back on.

Here are some of my favorite moments from the show:

Tough audience tonight, Ricky. Hahah. I'm laughing more at the awkwardness of the entire thing than at the actual jokes.

Robert De Niro's reaction to the Hugh Hefner joke was also spot on... but I expected that from my favorite man.

Didn't find the Ashton Kutcher-Bruce Willis joke all that funny, but I didn't find it offensive as well.

The intro he made for Tom Hanks and Tim Allen was a little bit funny, but what took the cake was the response made by the two. Game on, Gervais. Game on.

This clip includes lots of bits from the first one but also includes some other jibes.

The Charlie Sheen breakfast joke was hilarious!

The Tom Cruise scientologist comment was amazing... followed closely by RG saying it was fine since he wasn't in attendance.

The "insult" he directed to the president of the HFPA wasn't that funny... nor was it offensive.

The Sylvester Stalone comment was spot-on! We can't deny the stereotype, fellas.

His introduction of Robert Pattinson and Olivia Wilde couldn't have been better.

Chris Colfer's stunned reaction is just heart-warming. Dianna Agron is just ecstatic and Lea Michele couldn't hold back her tears. I'm not sure Chris Colfer deserved the award (not 'cause I think he sucks, but because I think he was in amazing company) but it was a cute moment, nonetheless.

I sincerely think Jon Hamm is the most adorable thing on the planet... but my man, Steve Buscemi totally deserved that award. Boy is legend.

I'm completely guilty for stanning this couple, but Santa Angelina fixing Brad's bow tie put the biggest smile on my face.

Andrew Garfield... you little cutie. Say it with me: Inspiringly.

RG's intro is the cutest and I love how RDJ just rode the wave.

"Aside from the fact that that has been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show has been pretty good so far, wouldn't you?" - RDJ.

RDJ looking for Emma Stone made my entire evening!!!!

"I'm just saying... If I could... I'd give it to all five of you." - RDJ. Oh.Wow.

I couldn't find a video of Aaron Sorkin's acceptance speech, but he gives the most sound advice ever. "Elite is not a bad word, it's an aspirational one." Boom.

Oh, Natalie. I'll always adore you but that little tidbit about your fiance was awkward at best. Too much second-hand embarrassment for you there. Your laugh is a little bothersome as well.

I can't find a video of Robert De Niro's acceptance speech but that was one of the most amazing things on the planet!


This is a gif of a wonderful capture of RDJ being the only one amused during RDN's speech.

Another awesome moment that can not, as of this moment, be found on youtube was RG introducing the lovely Tina Fey and Steve Carell. Brilliant, those two.

We all know of my love for King Firth and here he is dazzling us with his Italian!

There you have it, folks! A few highlights and some of my favorite scenes from this year's GG.

All good things,
Essa.

No comments:

Post a Comment